Thursday 8 November 2012

245 10 $aDown time

520    It's the first time in many months I've deliberately taken some time OFF. The past few months, having run 3 Half Marathons and a 25k trail race, I've done nothing but run, hit the gym to do weights, or yoga. The occasional day off, sure, those are important -- but I have deliberately forced myself to put my feet up for a week... and you know what, it's HARD.

Partly because I feel *guilty* that I should be moving. Guilt? So strange that I feel that, but it's like I owe it to myself to constantly move/exercise. I don't view rest as a legitimate way for my body to do what it needs to do to get stronger. Sure, I know it in my head. But putting it into practice is very difficult.

I think it's especially hard for us women who have been driven by weight-loss at any point in our lives. The feeling is, if we don't move, *deliberately*, in terms of real "exercise", we somehow become lazy, inert, good for nothings ... It goes along with the "diet mentality", I think - one false move with junk food and we beat ourselves up forever.

But I know, I *know* in theory that rest is important. I'm also partaking in plenty of food and even wine, just because, it's downtime and I can. I am giving myself permission to indulge, and be ok with it.

So the plan is, perhaps some yoga and some walking, or whatever else comes my way serendipitously - but I have had to sit on my hands and watch my daughter in her YMCA programs instead of hitting the gym and I am telling  myself to be ok with that. I am scouting around and looking for training plans and will begin again next week. Focus - more weights, more yoga, until the 30k training cycle begins!

650 0  $aLeisure.
650 0  $aAthletes$xPhysiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment